Waiting for the x-ray and loving the wheelchair!

I gave La-La advil, iced her foot, and elevated it while we waited for Dr Daddy to get home. He decided we better x-ray it so first thing Friday morning we went to Daddy's work. La-La was so excited to go. I think she was loving all the extra attention she was getting. I figured all along it was a sprain and the x-ray showed no fractures so the little patient was sent home with an ace wrap. Daddy had let her ride around the office in a wheelchair and she was mad that we didn't get to take it home. Then she was really mad when she found out she wasn't getting "sketchers" (crutches) because no one had any small enough. By that afternoon she was already doing better and walked on it a little when she didn't know anyone was looking. She has been extra emotional and not her usual bubbly self so I know it is hurting her and it is hard for her to not be as active as she is used to. It is still swollen and puffy today and now the bruising is showing up more. I hope she isn't destined for a life of sprained ankles like me. She is half the age I was the first time I had a bad sprain. Maybe it is good we haven't gotten her in any dance or gymnastic classes. I don't think her little ankles could take it!
Notice the bumpy bones in the healthy foot and the one big bump in the swollen one. This was day two and some of the swelling had gone down. When I first saw it, it looked like a round ball sitting on her ankle bone.
This is how it looked today. Swelling is going down but it is still really tender to the touch and sore. Poor girl! :-( (1-17-2010)
This is the bruising Monday the 18th. OUCH!
Not better yet. One week after the fall and this is how bruised it is. It just keeps getting darker as it comes to the surface. (1-20-2010)
2 weeks in and it is looking better but still causing problems. She was standing on a thick book and it slid out from under her and her weakened ankle twisted all over again. She screamed and screamed and said she felt it pop again just like with the original injury. We iced it again, more advil, and went on a hunt for a better, more supportive brace. (1-27-2010)
Dr Daddy contacted an orthotics company in town and they had this pediatric ankle sleeve with metal bars on each side to hold her ankle in place and keep her from rolling it. The brace was still too big even though it was made for kids so we added some extra padding and made it fit. Tiny petite seven year old girls are not supposed to sprain their ankles! In fact, I read that it is quite rare for kids under the age of 8 to sprain their ankles (Justin has never had a patient as young as La-La with a bad sprain) because usually the bone gives before the tendons and ligaments resulting in a break. Breaks also tend to heal quicker and more completely. Now I am on the hunt for a small elastic wrap that she can wear once she is done with the bigger brace to allow her ankle to heal all the way and hopefully keep it from happening again. I really hope she is not going to struggle with sprains for the rest of her life!

This brace works but it does not fit well with her shoes!
Notice the bumpy bones in the healthy foot and the one big bump in the swollen one. This was day two and some of the swelling had gone down. When I first saw it, it looked like a round ball sitting on her ankle bone.
This is how it looked today. Swelling is going down but it is still really tender to the touch and sore. Poor girl! :-( (1-17-2010)
This is the bruising Monday the 18th. OUCH!
Not better yet. One week after the fall and this is how bruised it is. It just keeps getting darker as it comes to the surface. (1-20-2010)
2 weeks in and it is looking better but still causing problems. She was standing on a thick book and it slid out from under her and her weakened ankle twisted all over again. She screamed and screamed and said she felt it pop again just like with the original injury. We iced it again, more advil, and went on a hunt for a better, more supportive brace. (1-27-2010)
Dr Daddy contacted an orthotics company in town and they had this pediatric ankle sleeve with metal bars on each side to hold her ankle in place and keep her from rolling it. The brace was still too big even though it was made for kids so we added some extra padding and made it fit. Tiny petite seven year old girls are not supposed to sprain their ankles! In fact, I read that it is quite rare for kids under the age of 8 to sprain their ankles (Justin has never had a patient as young as La-La with a bad sprain) because usually the bone gives before the tendons and ligaments resulting in a break. Breaks also tend to heal quicker and more completely. Now I am on the hunt for a small elastic wrap that she can wear once she is done with the bigger brace to allow her ankle to heal all the way and hopefully keep it from happening again. I really hope she is not going to struggle with sprains for the rest of her life!
This brace works but it does not fit well with her shoes!
4 comments:
poor sweetie!
Yowsa! That looks sore! I'm glad it's getting better and that it wasn't broken! It's so hard to see your kids hurt! I was getting flashbacks of last year when Kendra broke her leg...sweaty palms and elevated heart rate! Kendra's ankle still has a light, but visible bruise, and it's almost been a year! Good luck! Hope for a complete and speedy recovery!
Ouchie, I am not sure what I think about the school...I hope I would have called her Mom if I was in charge. Love how you document your kids lives so well.
What troopers!! The human body never ceases to amaze me! Hopefully she's completely better soon!
Post a Comment